"Almost a billion people on the planet (1 in 8 of us) don’t have access to clean drinking water. Unsafe water and a lack of basic sanitation cause 80% of all disease and kill more people than all forms of violence, including war. 90% of the 42,000 deaths that occur every week from unsafe water and unhygienic living conditions are to children under five years old. We're working to change that." - Charity: Water
Thanks to private donors covering operating costs, 100% of your money goes directly to the project. Here are a few ways to help through the secure Charity: Water website.
2. Start a fundraiser. Not only will it help spread awareness, it can be very easy thanks to all the social networking sites! Do it in lieu of gifts for your birthday (how it all started) and holidays for example.
3. Donating to water projects around the world. As little as $20 dollars provides clean water to an individual for 20 years! Check if your company will match your donation.
4. Sponsor a well. $5,000 = Freshwater well in a village and provide 250+ people with fresh water.
5. Monthly giving through Paypal. Anywhere from $20 to $500 a month to change lives.
6. Buying Merchandise to promote the cause. Profits support behind the scene costs of running the charity.
7. Send an E-card.
There's A LOT of information on the Charity: Water website so take a few minutes to check it out.